Succulent chicken cubes with red rice and red beans with a simple soy sauce seasoning can never go wrong. In this recipe, the combination of red rice, red beans and vegetables like purple cabbage and carrots makes a humble meat like chicken exotic and healthy.
The red color in food almost always has the advantage of being appetizing. In addition, the anthocyanins in red and purple-colored foods are responsible for their antioxidant properties, among other health benefits.
This stir-fried chicken with red beans and red rice is one of my favorites since it is nutty, crunchy and meaty all at the same time. It is a wholesome meal in itself with red rice, meat, red beans, vegetables and nuts providing protein, carbohydrates, fibre, vitamins and minerals and antioxidants. Also, I love this stir-fried chicken recipe because it is very simple and the ratio of nutritional value to effort is quite high!
You can find yet another simple recipe with red rice here: https://gohealthyeverafter.com/2018/05/22/stir-fried-red-rice-vegetables/
Ingredients (to serve 4)
- 500 gms chicken breast
- 1/2 cup red rice
- 1/2 cup red beans
- 1/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 grated carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white part of scallion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallion greens
- red chilli pepper – 1, deseeded and minced
- dark soy sauce – 2 tablespoons
- sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
- roasted and chopped peanuts – 2 tablespoons
- Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the red rice and red beans separately as per package instructions. Need instructions on cooking red beans? Look up here: https://gohealthyeverafter.com/2018/10/06/red-bean-soup-pasta-gluten–free/ Spread out the cooked rice and beans on a plate or tray and let it cool.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or a deep pan, keep the heat at medium high and stir-fry the white part of scallion and chili pepper.
- After a couple of minutes, add the chicken and stir-fry for 10 minutes until all the pieces turn white.
- Next add the purple cabbage, stir-fry for 5 minutes, then add the rice, beans and soy sauce and stir for 5 minutes until blended well.
- Finally stir in the grated carrots and scallion greens, stir for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it stand for 10 minutes for the flavors to blend. Transfer to a serving platter and don’t forget to sprinkle chopped peanuts before enjoying your stir-fried chicken with red beans and red rice.
- The stir-frying technique requires you to keep all the ingredients ready before lighting the stove top. No scrambling around the kitchen with the stove on! (that’s me, most of the time) This stir-fried chicken recipe made me realize the benefits of being well organised!
- The red beans I have used are smaller than the better known kidney beans and take lesser time to cook. They can be replaced with kidney beans, if you have the luxury of time, or just use the canned version.
- Use dark soy sauce if you want a tastier as well as more visually appetizing dish.
- If purple cabbage is unavailable, you can use regular cabbage but again, visually it wont have as much of an impact. Also, the purple one has a nice crunch to it, so it’s worth hunting for it.
- If you can get hold of purple carrots, nothing like it. Red and purple, more purple, more goodness!
Please let me know in the comments section how you feel about this recipe and if you liked it. I love to hear from you!