Juicy salmon kabobs on skewers baked in the oven with spices and yogurt that takes just 30 minutes to cook – a quick and easy delicious appetizer you can’t stop eating!
This salmon kebab recipe is yet another of my quick, easy and healthy recipes. Marinate the salmon and vegetables and pop into the oven with onions and peppers and your salmon kabobs on skewers are done in 15 to 20 minutes.
A highly nutritious recipe, this is also a versatile dish – these salmon kebabs on skewers can be had as an appetizer or you can make it a wholesome meal by cooking some flavored rice or quinoa to go with it. Salmon has a great flavor on its own, so it needs minimal seasoning which makes it even easier to cook these oven-baked salmon kabobs. What more, since salmon has enough fat which also keeps it moist (no worries, it is the heart-healthy unsaturated fat), you don’t even need a grill or a single drop of oil to cook.
Health benefits of salmon
As we all know, salmon is one of the superfoods with numerous health benefits. Salmon is a highly nutritious fish, rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, along with protein, niacin, selenium, magnesium, vitamins B6 and B12. It is also one of the few good sources of vitamin D and has virtually zero carbohydrates, all of which make it one of the healthiest foods.
One of my family’s weekend favorites, I love salmon not only for its health benefits but also for its rich flavor and ease of cooking.
For more quick and easy salmon recipes, check out
What do you need for the baked salmon kebabs?
Fresh salmon fillets, onions, bell peppers and marinade ingredients – ginger paste, garlic paste, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, chili powder or cayenne pepper, saffron, salt and pepper. You will also need bamboo skewers. Yogurt is the fat here that replaces oil or butter, so the salmon is baked to soft flaky perfection, and not dry and chewy.
Marinating and baking the salmon kabobs
Mix all ingredients for the marinade and combine with chopped bite-size pieces of salmon, bell peppers and onions. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Thread onto skewers and bake at 100°C for 20 minutes. That’s it! You can enjoy the creamy and juicy melt-in-your-mouth salmon kabobs that are so healthy.
Tips to cook the best salmon kebabs
This recipe has no oil, no butter, no cream, yet the kabobs are so creamy. How?
The yogurt! It is single-handedly responsible for the creamy juicy texture and flavor of these salmon kabobs. For those of you who have been following this blog, it should come as no surprise since you all know my love for yogurt. If in doubt, take a look at my recipes, cauliflower rice with masala chicken or chicken deviled eggs.
Another secret to baking top-notch salmon kebabs is the temperature at which they are cooked and the baking time. The kabobs should be flaky, but still pink on the inside. This is possible only with the right temperature and timing – not more than 100°C and 15 minutes.
What do you eat salmon kebabs with?
- Enjoy on its own as an appetizer
- With lemon garlic quinoa or 3 bean spicy quinoa as a healthy combo
- With fried red rice or chicken fried (brown) rice if you are a rice lover
- With cauliflower rice stir fry or cauliflower rice with masala chicken
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow me on Pinterest.
Baked Salmon Kabobs
- 800 grams salmon fillet – 800 gm
- 2 onions cubed
- 1 red pepper cubed
- 1 green pepper cubed
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- saffron a few strands
- Soak around 8-10 bamboo skewers in water for 15 minutes.
- Clean the salmon fillet and cut into 2 inch cubes.
- Add the cubed vegetables.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients for the marinade.
- Add the marinade to the salmon and the vegetables and mix well.
- Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 100°C.
- Thread the salmon with the vegetables onto the skewers as shown.
- Arrange the skewers on a baking dish or sheet pan and place in the oven. (remember to line the dish with baking paper to catch the drippings so that cleaning up becomes easier)
- Bake at 100°C for 15 minutes. Check for doneness using a fork to push through the flesh. The salmon kabab should still be pink but should flake easily.
- Enjoy your creamy smooth baked salmon kababs!
- The ginger and garlic pastes can be replaced with the powdered versions.
- DO NOT cook at higher temperatures.