One of the favourite restaurant starters for most of us, the breaded prawns are also easy to prepare and cook. They can be had as an any-time-snack or a party appetizer or just part of a weekend menu for a sumptuous family dinner. This copy cat recipe that has the looks of the breaded prawns served as starters at restaurants, yet they are so simple to cook. The twist in this breaded prawns recipe is the unique aromatic rosemary flavour.
Breaded prawns taste best when you use tiger prawns since they naturally have a buttery flavor. Crunchy on the outside, full of flavor inside. This is what you call pure indulgence!
Prawns are a great source of protein, low in calories and saturated fat, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, selenium, vitamin B12, calcium and vitamin E. Hence, they promote heart health, brain function, growth and development and reduce inflammation, risk of illnesses like cancer, arthritis and dementia.
A word of caution: while prawns are low in saturated fats, they are rich in cholesterol and sodium. So eat prawns in moderation and be careful of added salt. Prawns are so flavorful and tasty that they need less salt and flavoring agents.
Despite the high cholesterol content, prawns are still a healthy alternative protein source when compared to animal proteins like red meat.
Recipe for restaurant-style breaded prawns
Ingredients (serves 2-3 as an appetizer)
- Tiger prawns – 10 pieces
- chili powder – 1 tsp
- pepper – 1/2 tsp
- 1 egg white
- bread crumbs -1/2 cup mixed with 1 tsp of dried rosemary
- plain flour – 2 tbsp
- oil – 2 tbsp
- Shell and clean the prawns, keeping the tail intact.
- Mix the prawns with chili powder, pepper and salt and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Dip the prawns in plain flour first. This is to prevent the bread coating from falling apart.
- Then dip the prawns in egg white and roll them in bread crumbs.
- Shallow fry in oil until golden brown on both sides. Prawns get cooked easily and become rubbery when overcooked. The trick is to maintain medium heat and keep a close watch.
Easy to cook, healthy and good to eat breaded prawns ready in minutes!
Please share your thoughts about this recipe. If you like it, share with your friends.