Try this cauliflower rice stir fry that is high on taste and low on carbs and see how good you feel. The aromatic spices and coconut flavor make you forget you’re actually eating a stir-fried vegetable!
This easy vegetarian, gluten-free, low-carb CAULIFLOWER RICE STIR FRY (with 136 CALORIES) is an excellent option if you want to save yourself a few hundred calories and also get your recommended daily serving of vegetables in a delicious way. And it just takes 15 minutes to prep AND cook.
Is there a better way to enjoy this coconut cauliflower rice than with the appetizing aroma of COCONUT OIL, CURRY POWDER (sambhar powder) and COCONUT?
The curry powder and desiccated coconut give this dish an INTERESTING FLAVOR you can’t resist. Even if you hate cauliflower, this low-carb cauliflower fried rice recipe is sure to surprise you.
Serve this cauliflower rice stir fry with creamy refreshing cucumber raita and a protein like roasted chicken or braised tofu (vegetarian option), you get a complete wholesome meal. SO EASY, SO HEALTHY and SO TASTY!
what you need for the cauliflower fried rice recipe
A medium head cauliflower, boiled green peas, VIRGIN COCONUT OIL, CURRY POWDER (sambar powder), mustard seeds, roasted peanuts, roasted cashews, curry leaves, dry red chilies, ginger, desiccated COCONUT.
Can’t find desiccated coconut? Coconut meat can be used: chop into chunks and pulse a few times in the food processor until you get the grated consistency.
how to make cauliflower fried rice
Cut the cauliflower head into florets and run through the food processor until the cauliflower bits resemble grains of rice. The cauliflower can also be grated using a box grater.
Stir-fry the cauliflower rice in oil with salt and pepper.
How to season cauliflower rice
Heat coconut oil and saute all the ingredients except the coconut and cauliflower rice for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the coconut and cauliflower rice. Mix well. Done!
The raitha with CREAMY YOGURT brings everything together in the cauliflower rice and is a perfect ‘jewel in the crown’.
Add finely diced cucumber, grated carrots and minced coriander leaves to plain UNSWEETENED YOGURT and season with salt, pepper and CUMIN powder. A refreshing yummy side for anything from biriyani to cauliflower rice. It tastes SO GOOD with tandoori chicken, too.
what else to serve with cauliflower rice stir fry
- quick and easy soy chicken
- baked buttermilk chicken legs
- tandoori chicken
- braised tofu
- mustard glazed baked fish
- baked salmon kebabs
Want your cauliflower rice and protein in a single dish? You might want to try this cauliflower rice with chicken.
Be sure to PIN this recipe for later and follow me on Pinterest.
Cauliflower Rice stir fry
for cauliflower rice stir fry
- 1 cauliflower medium head
- 1/4 cup green peas boiled
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 dry red chilies halved
- curry leaves a few
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- roasted peanuts a few
- roasted cashews a few
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- salt and pepper to taste
for cucumber raita
- 1 cup plain unsweetened yogurt – 1 cup
- 1/2 cucumber finely diced
- 1/2 carrot grated
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- sea salt or Himalayan black salt
- coriander leaves a few for garnish
Prepare the cauliflower rice
- Wash and chop the cauliflower head into big chunks. Place the chunks in a food processor and pulse a few times until you get ‘grains’ that resemble rice.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet or wok, add the ‘cauliflower rice’ with a dash of salt and pepper. Stir-fry for 5 minutes and transfer to a bowl.
Season the cauliflower rice
- Heat the rest of the coconut oil in the same skillet and add mustard seeds. Once the mustard starts spluttering, add chilies, curry leaves, ginger, peas, cashews, peanuts and curry powder. Stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add desiccated coconut and cauliflower rice. Mix well.
- Mix all ingredients and serve with the cooked cauliflower rice.
Did you know these interesting facts about cauliflower?
- Cauliflower is an excellent source of dietary fibers, vitamins C, K and vitamins of the B group and minerals such as manganese, potassium, and magnesium. Cauliflower has low caloric value and can be used as a substitute for rice and potato.
- Cauliflower develops large and coarse leaves that are green in color. They grow in the form of a rosette.
- Leaves surround stalk and ensure the development of white head. Without leaves, a bunch of inedible yellow flowers would appear.
- The color of the head depends on the variety. The most common type of cauliflower is white, but it can be also purchased in green, purple, orange, brown and yellow color.
- The green variety is known as broccoflower because it looks like broccoli.
- One type of green cauliflower develops spiky instead of round curds. This variety of cauliflower is known as Romanesco broccoli.
- Cauliflower belongs to the group of cruciferous vegetables. They are named that way because they have flowers that consist of four petals that grow in the shape of the Greek cross.
- Cauliflower develops from seeds and tissue transplants.
- Cauliflowers can be eaten raw, cooked or pickled.
- Prolonged cooking destroys the majority of vitamins and it is associated with bad, sulfur-like smell of cauliflower. Cooking 30 or more minutes decreases health benefits of cauliflower by 75%.
- Medical studies revealed that substances isolated from cauliflower can prevent the development of certain types of cancer.
- China is the greatest manufacturer of cauliflowers in the world.