Creamy, delicious deviled eggs! Definitely an easy appetizer and a crowd-pleaser for any party, deviled eggs can also make a weekend family breakfast special. Why not make them even more special by adding minced chicken and some spices? It is also one way to make the best use of leftover chicken from last night’s dinner. A breakfast par egg-cellence.
But frankly, I’ve never used leftover chicken for this recipe. I make these deviled eggs with chicken as part of weekend lunch menu and use that leftover chicken filling for grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner.
Why chicken in deviled eggs?
The egg, being a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals, high-quality protein and disease-fighting nutrients like carotenoids and choline, is a favourite for many of us. So easy to cook and so good to eat! And what better way to cook than deviled with chicken, making it more flavorful as well as healthier?
My daughter is not a great fan of eggs (It would have been surprising for me if it had come from someone else, I mean, who doesn’t like eggs) especially hard boiled ones. She says it is quite bland(!?) So I took it as a challenge and decided to make my own version of ‘deviled eggs’, by hiding chicken inside the egg! And now I have to really stop her from binging on those eggs because she can’t resist.
Chicken can be replaced with minced fish, prawns or vegetables. But it really gives you a kick when you stuff chicken inside an egg!
Yogurt instead of mayo
Yogurt gives the creamy texture as mayo and is also healthier and tastier. Are you an ardent fan of the classic deviled eggs? Yogurt also helps keep the chicken soft, making it all the more yummy. Give this recipe a try and you’ll never again think of deviled eggs with mayo.
How to make the irresistible deviled eggs with chicken:
You will need hard boiled eggs, minced chicken, onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chilli powder or cayenne pepper, yogurt, cilantro with some chives and paprika for garnishing. It might seem like a lot of ingredients for a deviled egg recipe, but the cooking is quite simple. The only hard part is to prevent yourself from finishing off the filling before putting it into the egg whites!
Hard boil the eggs
Place the eggs in a saucepan, cover completely with cold water and set to boil on high heat. Once it comes to a rolling boil, reduce heat to medium and let it boil for 8 minutes. Remove the eggs and plunge them in cold water for 5 minutes. This way the eggs are perfectly cooked and are easy to peel. Peel and slice them into halves. Remove the yolks carefully with a small spoon.
Heat cooking oil in a pan and saute the onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and chicken, then add the spices and yogurt. Once the chicken is cooked, which takes about 10 minutes, turn off the heat and add the cooked egg yolks. Mash with the back of a spoon and mix well. Or you can mash the yolks before mixing in.
Spoon the filling into the egg whites and garnish with chives and paprika.
Chicken deviled eggs
- 5 egg
- 300 grams minced chicken
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- a bunch of cilantro finely chopped
- paprika and chives for garnishing
- 1. Hard boil the eggs, peel them and slice into halves lengthwise. Scoop out the yolk carefully with a small spoon and keep aside.
- 2. Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onions for 5 min until it turns translucent, then add ginger and garlic. After 5 min, add tomatoes and salt. Once the tomatoes turn mushy, add minced chicken, chilli powder, pepper, salt and yoghurt. Mix well and keep it closed for 10 min or until the chicken is cooked and the gravy turns thick.
- 3. Turn off the heat, add the yolks and mash well with a fork or the back of a spoon. Add cilantro and mix.
- 4. Place the egg whites with the cut side up on a serving platter. Spoon the chicken mixture into each egg white and garnish with the chives and paprika.
- Apart from the taste and wholesome goodness of these chicken-stuffed eggs, there is another reason for me to love this recipe. I can use the left-over filling for my sandwiches/ wraps which taste great!
- If using leftover chicken for this recipe, add at the end of step 2, just before turning off the heat.
- Chicken can be replaced with minced shrimps.
- For vegetarian options, replace the chicken with minced tofu or vegetables of your choice (minced carrots, beans, cauliflower, peas, potatoes).
Please comment if you tried this recipe or any variation. I would love to hear from you.
Some easy chicken recipes you might like:
- Asian stir-fried chicken with red beans and red rice.
- Chicken meatballs in curry.
- Low carb masala chicken cauliflower rice.
- Chicken fried (brown) rice.
- 5-ingredient chicken curry.
- Buttermilk chicken drumsticks.
Try these healthy egg recipes this week: