Fried rice…. an amazing, favourite version of the carb that Asians love. And your body too will love this healthier version. This chicken fried brown rice is a form of fusion with Indian spices and Chinese fried rice technique but the result is enjoyable by everyone alike, irrespective of their country or race.
The beauty of this chicken fried rice recipe is that it tastes better with left-over rice from the refrigerator. And an easy one. And versatile. You can add whatever vegetable (well, almost) you have in your refrigerator. So you can see that there is an umpteen number of excuses to love this recipe.
If you want a vegetarian or vegan version see easy fried rice with red rice and Thai flavors. The red rice can be replaced with brown.
Or see Baby corn pulao with brown basmathi rice for a vegan brown rice recipe.
This chicken fried brown rice uses eggs, Swiss chards, carrots and cauliflower along with chicken to make it a wholesome, whole grain meal.
The stalks of the chards are also edible, so reserve them for making stock or finely chop them and add while cooking stew, curry, sautéed veggies or omelettes.
Recipe for chicken fried (brown) rice
Ingredients (serves 2 to 3)
- brown rice – 1 cup
- water or stock to cook rice
- chicken breasts – 2, cleaned and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- eggs – 2, beaten with a dash of salt and pepper
- cauliflower – half of a medium head, cut into small florets (or 1 cup of florets)
- Swiss chards – leaves chopped – 1 cup, loosely packed
- carrot – 1, grated
- onions – 2, thinly sliced
- garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- light soy sauce – 3 teaspoons
- green chilli – 1, thinly sliced (use 1/2 or skip entirely if you are not a “spice” person)
- ginger paste/ minced ginger – 1/2 teaspoon
- garlic paste/ minced garlic – 1/2 teaspoon
- coconut oil/ sunflower oil – 1 tablespoon
- spring onion leaves for garnish (if the critic in you is trying to locate them in the picture, I’m sorry you can’t find because I didn’t have stock of spring onions and realised it just after cooking, but I was in the mood to take pictures.)
- Cook the brown rice as per package instructions. Allow it to cool in a tray or large plate. If using left-over rice from the fridge, bring it to room temperature by heating mildly in the microwave or leaving it outside for some time.
- Heat oil in a wok or a pan that is deep enough to enable stirring all that rice and veggies. Add onions and chili. Fry until the onions are translucent. Add the ginger and garlic pastes and fry until it starts sticking to the bottom.
- Stir in the chicken pieces and cauliflower, close and cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Add the Swiss chards and saute until wilted, then add soy sauce.
- Add in the beaten eggs, carrots, cauliflower and keep stirring until the eggs start to solidify. Mix in the rice while you keep stirring (do it before the eggs get cooked so that the eggs stick on to the rice, making it extra-delicious). Taste the rice and feel free to stir in salt to taste if you feel the soy sauce has not rendered enough flavor.
- Transfer the fried rice to your most attractive china bowl and garnish with spring onion leaves.
- Serve with shredded raw mango seasoned with pepper and salt and some chili garlic sauce.