A chilled soup to start a summer dinner is as heavenly as getting a massage after a hectic day! A bunch of herbs like the cool mint and the flavorful cilantro along with cucumber make this chilled cucumber herb soup delicious, healthy and exciting. One of my favorites, this cucumber herb soup is super easy and takes just minutes to prepare, yet the results are spectacular.
Every ingredient in the cucumber herb soup is a nutritional powerhouse. Garlic, mint and cilantro are natural detoxifying foods along with a multitude of vitamins including B vitamins and vitamins K, C, E and minerals iron, calcium, potassium and magnesium. Yoghurt is known for probiotics and lemon for vitamin C along with other nutrients. Adding herbs to any dish is a smart way to enhance its flavor without adding extra calories, it also helps you reduce salt as I had mentioned in this post on food cravings and weight loss. More importantly in this chilled cucumber herb soup, adding all these ingredients raw gives you all of its benefits, some of which would have been otherwise lost in cooking.
Recipe for the chilled cucumber herb soup with all its natural goodness for you:
Ingredients ( for 4 bowls of soup)
- 4 medium sized cucumbers
- 1/2 cup mint leaves tightly packed
- 1/2 cup cilantro tightly packed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and seed the cucumbers. Dice half a cucumber into 1/4 inch cubes and set aside for garnish.
- Roughly chop the rest of the cucumbers, mint leaves and cilantro. Set aside a handful of mint leaves, chiffonade-cut for garnish. Combine with the rest of the ingredients and puree in a blender until smooth.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- Serve the chilled cucumber herb soup garnished with diced cucumber and mint chiffonade.
- If you love this soup and would like to make it often, make some herb-and-lemon flavored ice cubes in advance (whenever you have a surplus of herbs) so that you can pop them right into the soup and within minutes you get a chilled soup with extra flavor.
How to make herb-lemon flavored ice cubes:
Mix thinly chopped mint or cilantro and some grated lemon zest with water. Pour into the ice cube tray and freeze. Quantities, as per your preference. Use as and when required. They can also be dropped into your jug of water or tea for herb-infused water/tea.
Do you like this chilled soup recipe? Please leave your comment below or share with friends.