Garlic butter salmon marinated and cooked in a simple and delicious orange juice marinade that takes just 10 minutes to cook. Perfectly juicy, flaky salmon full of zesty, lemony flavor!
Salmon, I would say, is the king or rather the queen of all fish with its beautiful orange hue and chockfull of goodness. I don’t think there’s any other fish that’s so quick and easy to cook, versatile and flavourful. There’s very little you need to do to make an amazing salmon dish since the salmon is already full of flavor. You just need to complement it with some minimum seasoning. Needless to say, I always opt for salmon (and you should, too) on days when I’m too busy or too lazy to cook, but still want a delicious and nutritious meal!
Other easy and delicious salmon dishes to try are
- Pan-seared salmon with mango-avocado salsa
- Baked salmon kebabs
- Easy pan-seared salmon with green sauce
I got the inspiration for this orange butter salmon recipe with citrus flavors and butter from a local restaurant which we really got hooked on to. So much so that we starting visiting there almost every other weekend just to satisfy our craving for this amazing orange butter salmon that they serve. I was wondering, why not make my own version of the orange butter salmon that is healthier with lesser butter and more citrus flavors without compromising on the taste.
What a success it was! Utterly, butterly delicious. Nobody even realized that I used much lesser butter compared to the restaurant version. I’m glad I tried and now I cook this salmon recipe almost every week and we ACTUALLY stopped going to the restaurant to enjoy the garlic butter salmon. Why spend so much when it so easy to make the same at home?
Health benefits of salmon
Salmon is a highly nutritious fish, rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, along with protein, niacin, selenium, magnesium, vitamins B6 and B12. It is also one of the few good sources of vitamin D and has virtually zero carbohydrates, all of which make it one of the healthiest foods.
One of my family’s weekend favorites, I love salmon not only for its health benefits but also for its rich flavor and ease of cooking.
What more, you don’t need much oil or butter for cooking, since salmon has enough fat which also keeps it moist. (No worries, it is the heart-healthy unsaturated fat).
Ingredients for the garlic butter salmon recipe
You will need fresh salmon fillets with butter for pan-frying and a super-easy citrus marinade.
The orange juice marinade
This citrus marinade requires
- juices and zest from oranges and lemon
- crushed garlic cloves
- dried oregano
- red chili flakes
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
How to make the easy garlic butter salmon
Prepare the marinade. Zest the oranges and lemon and extract the juice. Mix with the other ingredients.
Marinate the salmon fillets for 15 to 30 minutes.
Heat butter in a pan. Take the fillets from the marinade, shaking off any excess and place them skin side down first. Gently fry the fillets for not more than 2 minutes on low flame. Flip the fillets and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes. If the salmon fillets are too thick, fry on the other sides too, taking 2 minutes per side.
Remove the fillets on to a serving platter. Pour the marinade into the same pan and simmer until you get a thick luscious sauce. Drizzle over the salmon fillets.
Serve on a bed of boiled vegetables for a complete low-carb keto meal.
What to serve with garlic butter salmon?
The garlic butter salmon pairs well with sides like
- No mayo coleslaw
- Pineapple avocado salsa
- Low carb cauliflower rice stir fry
- Lemon garlic quinoa
- Minestrone soup with Asian spices
Can I make this salmon recipe in advance?
Yes. The salmon can be marinated in advance (for up to 2 days) in the refrigerator. It actually tastes even better when marinated the previous day.
Tips for the best garlic butter salmon
- This whole recipe has to be cooked on low flame to get perfectly juicy and flaky salmon.
- If the fillets are big, fry them in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan.
More salmon recipes you’ll love
Garlic butter salmon
- 500 grams Salmon sliced into 5 or 6 medium-sized fillets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes optional
- salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Zest both the oranges and lemon, carefully leaving out the white part which is bitter.
- Extract juice from the oranges and the lemon.
- Mix the zest and juice with garlic, oregano, chili flakes, salt and pepper.
Garlic butter salmon
- Clean the salmon fillets and marinate with the prepared citrus marinade for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Melt butter in a frying pan. Take the fillets from the marinade and place skin side down first and fry gently on low heat.
- After 2 minutes, flip and cook for another 2 minutes.
- If the fillet is too thick, flip and cook on all four sides, allowing 2 minutes for each side. If the skin starts sticking to the pan, add a little more butter.
- Remove the salmon fillets on to a serving platter.
- Pour the marinade into the same pan and simmer until reduced to a sticky juice.
- Drizzle the juice over the salmon fillets and serve with boiled vegetables.
- Pan-fry the salmon fillets in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook the salmon on low flame so that you get perfectly juicy and flaky salmon fillets.