A simple pomegranate salad that brings out the flavors of coconut along with complementing flavors and colors of guava, crunchy pomegranate, cucumber and palm sugar with its mild caramel taste. The impressive health advantages and a naturally low glycemic index rating of coconut and palm sugar tempted me to put together this salad recipe. A culinary delight that is nutritious and a feast for the eyes, too!
health benefits of coconut and coconut oil
- Coconut, due to its strong antioxidant properties increases metabolism and fights infections.
- Coconut is anti-viral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasite.
- It provides a natural source of quick energy and enhances physical and athletic performance.
- Coconut Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
- It stabilizes glucose levels by improving insulin secretion.
- Coconut improves good cholesterol (HDL) thus supporting heart health.
- Coconut and coconut oil supports thyroid function.
- It helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infection
- It promotes weight loss due to its high fiber content and also reduces belly fat.
- Coconut oil helps keep hair and skin young and healthy, preventing wrinkles and sagging skin.
health benefits of palm sugar
- Palm sugar is an unrefined sugar that requires minimal processing.
- Known to be rich in vitamins and minerals.
- It contains phytonutrients, flavonoids, antioxidants, and dietary fiber.
- Palm sugar is gaining popularity due to its low glycemic index, (even lesser than honey) which means it is slowly absorbed by the body, preventing a spike in blood glucose levels.
Recipe for guava salad with coconut and palm sugar
- guava – 2 medium-sized, cubed
- pomegranate – 1, seeds extracted
- cucumber – 1, cubed
- coconut meat – cut into thin, 1-inch long strips
- extra virgin coconut oil – 3 teaspoons
- palm sugar – 2 teaspoons
- pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- lime juice – 1/2 teaspoon
- Reserve 1/2 teaspoon of palm sugar for garnish.
- Mix together the last four ingredients in a salad bowl and stir until the palm sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the other ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes and serve sprinkled with the reserved palm sugar.
Please let me know how this recipe came out. I love to receive feedback from you.