“Focussing on perfect health is something we can all do within ourselves, despite what may be happening on the outside.”- Dr.John Demartini.
This recipe is another of my flavourful chicken recipes with a lot of goodness from its main ingredients, mint and yoghurt. In addition to imparting great taste to the dish, they provide a lot of health benefits too.
Mint is a great appetizer and natural stimulant. Mint is a calming and soothing herb used as a remedy for a host of health issues like indigestion, nausea, depression, memory loss, fatigue, headache, asthma, oral care and skin care problems, allergies and respiratory disorders.Regular consumption of mint also improves alertness and memory retention. Above all, it supports healthy cholesterol levels and aids weight loss.
Yoghurt is the other ingredient in this recipe that helps with weight loss. Rich in important nutrients, protein and calcium, it strengthens the immune system, improves heart health and protects against osteoporosis. It also contains live bacteria or probiotic that promotes digestive health.
Now for the Recipe:
chicken drumsticks- 6
mint leaves- 1 cup
ginger- 1 inch piece
garlic- 3 cloves
green chilli- 1
plain yoghurt- 1 tablespoon
peppercorns- 1 teaspoon
lemon juice- 1 teaspoon
zest of 1 lemon
oil- 2 teaspoons
butter- 1 teaspoon
- Skin and wash the chicken drumsticks and poke them with a fork.
- Blend the rest of the ingredients (except for the butter) into a smooth paste.
- Marinate the chicken with the paste and keep refrigerated for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 220°C for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the drumsticks on a baking tray lined with baking sheet.
- Cook in the oven for 35 – 45 minutes at 220°C (depending on size of the drumsticks).
- To ensure uniform cooking flip the drumsticks after 20 minutes.
- Baste with butter every 15 minutes for added taste.
To check if the chicken is cooked thoroughly, cut through the middle of the drumstick and ensure there is no pinkish tint.
A health tip: Always use plain unsweetened yoghurt since the flavoured ones are loaded with sugar. You can add fresh fruits, dry fruits or nuts to add your own flavour.
What recipes have you tried with chicken and herbs? Feel free to share in the comments section.