Recipe for lemon rice with brown rice
This easy recipe for lemon rice combines the amazing flavors of the Indian staple with the healthier brown rice and crunchy vegetables to give you a delicious vegan one-pot meal in about 30 minutes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 3 people
- brown rice – 1 1/2 cups
- water – 4 1/2 cups or as per package instructions.
- soya beans or edamame – 1/2 cup frozen or dried
- sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – 1 sprig
- cashews – 10
- green chili – 1 minced
- ginger – 1-inch piece minced
- carrot – 1 grated
- turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or as needed
Cook the brown rice in the rice cooker. If you're cooking on stove-top, boil 6 cups of water in a wide pot, add the rice and cook until done. The rice should be cooked just right: not mushy and the individual grains should be intact. Drain the rice using a strainer and let it cool.
Boil the frozen soya beans in 1 cup of water for 10 minutes. If using dried soybeans, soak them overnight and cook in a pressure cooker. cook until high pressure is reached, then at low pressure for 10 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan or wok, add mustard. After it splutters add curry leaves, cashews, minced green chili and ginger, carrot and turmeric powder in the same order.
Add the cooked soybeans and salt. Saute for 5 minutes and remove from heat. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, and the cooked brown rice and mix well.
If needed, add more lemon juice or salt according to individual taste.
Let it stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cooking the brown rice: the time and water required to cook the rice might vary depending on the brand and the equipment to cook. The measurements specified here are for Indian brown rice using electric rice cooker.
- If you're new to brown rice, the most fool-proof way to cook is the stove-top method as mentioned in the instructions above.
- If you're not a great fan of soybeans, you can replace them with green peas, fresh, frozen or dried. Cooking method is the same.
- Don't forget the lemon zest for that amazingly unique flavor.