This healthy strawberry banana milkshake recipe without ice cream is a delicious post-workout drink that will give you a quick energy boost. An easy 5-ingredient smoothie with no added sugar that also makes a healthy breakfast or after-school snack for kids.
Healthy strawberry banana smoothie
Should we call it a milkshake or smoothie? Call it whatever you want, you’re going to love it! This is an amazingly easy smoothie (I know, most smoothies are). But this recipe has just 5 simple all-natural ingredients and the effort you put in is very little compared to the creamy deliciousness you’ll be experiencing! (Like the 3-ingredient mango smoothie.)
To make this milkshake recipe, the choice of ingredients is key. This smoothie without yogurt can be made dairy-free by using almond milk. Yogurt makes a smoothie thick, in this recipe we use almonds to get the same effect.
You don’t need ice cream or added sugar to make it creamy and sweet. Read on to find out how:
- Strawberries– Lots of fresh, naturally sweet strawberries. Using frozen ones gives a creamy consistency that mimics ice cream in the milkshake.
- Bananas– Use very ripe bananas since they’re sweeter. This is important since we are not adding sugar or any other sweetener. You can use either fresh or frozen.
- Almonds– Give a thick creamy texture to the milkshake. Blending almonds is one of the healthiest ways to thicken a smoothie.
- Milk– Regular whole milk is fine. For a vegan smoothie use almond milk. I use both interchangeably since I love almond milk (though I’m not vegan).
- Cinnamon– You’ll be amazed at how much a few pinches can do to your milkshake.
- If you’re using frozen strawberries and/ or bananas, reduce or totally skip the ice according to your preferred consistency.
Tips to make strawberry banana milkshake without ice cream
(You can find the exact measurements and instructions in the recipe card at the end of this page.)
Remove the stems and leaves from strawberries. Blend all ingredients until smooth. Garnish with slivered almonds and a dash of cinnamon. This is what I call a 5-ingredient, 5-minute smoothie that will perk you up in no time.
A quick tip: When you have an abundance of bananas and strawberries, freeze them. Whenever you’re hungry, make this easy homemade milkshake to keep your stomach from grumbling until dinner time!
You’ll need a high power blender since the almonds have to be blended for that smooth and creamy texture. If your blender does not have enough power, blend the ice and almonds with a little milk first before adding the fruits.
You may also like these healthy drinks
*****Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below to help more readers see this post. *****
Or why not subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox?
Thank you and happy cooking!