This healthy banana strawberry milkshake without ice cream is a delicious post-workout drink that will give you a quick energy boost. An easy 5-ingredient strawberry banana milkshake recipe with no added sugar that also makes a quick breakfast or after-school snack for kids!
Homemade banana strawberry shake
You may not realize it is healthy, and you’re going to love it! This is an amazingly easy milkshake (I know, most shakes are). But this recipe has just 5 simple all-natural ingredients and the effort you put in is very little compared to the creamy deliciousness you’ll be experiencing! (Like the 3-ingredient mango smoothie.)
To make this healthy milkshake recipe, the choice of ingredients is key. We use ripe bananas, frozen strawberries and almonds to get the thickness and flavor in the milkshake.
You don’t need ice cream or added sugar to make it creamy and sweet. Read on to find out how:
- Strawberries– Lots of fresh, naturally sweet strawberries. Using frozen ones gives a creamy consistency that mimics ice cream in the milkshake.
- Bananas– Use very ripe bananas since they’re sweeter. This is important since we are not adding sugar or any other sweetener. You can use either fresh or frozen.
- Almonds– Give a thick creamy texture to the milkshake. Blending almonds is one of the healthiest ways to thicken a smoothie.
- Milk– Regular whole milk is fine. This recipe can be turned into a vegan strawberry milkshake by swapping almond milk for regular milk. I use both interchangeably since I love almond milk (though I’m not vegan).
- Cinnamon– You’ll be amazed at how much a few pinches can do to your milkshake.
- Ice– If you’re using frozen strawberries and/ or bananas, reduce or totally skip the ice according to your preferred consistency.
How to make a Strawberry Banana Milkshake
(You can find the exact measurements and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this page.)
Remove the stems and leaves from strawberries. Blend all ingredients until smooth. You’ll need a high power blender since the almonds have to be blended for that smooth and creamy texture. If your blender does not have enough power, blend the ice and almonds with a little milk first before adding the fruits.
Garnish with slivered almonds and a dash of cinnamon. Chill before serving. This is what I call a 5-ingredient, 5-minute strawberry and banana milkshake!
Take 5 minutes to make the milkshake and leave it to chill before you start your workout routine. When you’re done, this post-workout smoothie will be waiting in your fridge to perk you up!
A quick tip: When you have an abundance of bananas and strawberries, freeze them. Whenever you’re hungry, make this easy milkshake with frozen strawberries and bananas to keep your stomach from grumbling until dinner time!
Variations and toppings
This is a basic banana strawberry milkshake recipe. You can customize it in many ways depending on how creative you are!
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla essence to mimic the “ice cream” flavor.
- You can make the milkshake creamier by soaking the almonds and removing the skin. This is how you do it: Soak the almonds in hot water for 10 minutes. The skin will slide off easily when you squeeze. It also helps blend the almonds easily.
- Use a combination of berries like frozen raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, in addition to strawberries. Adjust the quantity of strawberries accordingly. (2 cups of berries in total)
- Add a couple teaspoons of chia seeds or flax seeds (soaked in milk for about 30 minutes) to make the milkshake thicker and more nutritious. In that case, you’ll have to add sweeteners like honey or sugar since the seeds would subdue the sweetness of the milkshake.
You may also like these healthy drinks
★★★★★Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below ★★★★★
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Join over 1000 home cooks like you who subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox. Or follow me on your favorite social media: Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube. Thank you and happy cooking!
Hi! I’m Sheeba, welcome to Go Healthy ever after!
I have a passion for cooking delicious nourishing food that’s easy to cook with fresh natural ingredients free from additives or preservatives. The easy healthy recipes you find here will inspire you to cook with creativity.