Sweet and spicy pineapple avocado salsa is a perfect side for your grilled or baked meat. Or serve it as an appetizer with tortilla chips.
Sweet, tangy, juicy, spicy pineapple avocado salsa served in an attractive pineapple boat. I can go on and on with a lot more adjectives. The salsa always amazes me with its ability to combine complementing flavors with simple ingredients. SO colorful and inviting, it is a recipe with a lot of goodness from the healthy blend of the right fruits and vegetables.
The pineapple-avocado combination
Pineapple is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants and its enzymes can ease digestion. Avocado is full of heart-healthy fatty acids, nutrients and fibre. However, avocado is also a higher FODMAP food, meaning it contains carbohydrates that may not be digested or absorbed well. Pineapple comes to our rescue here with its digestive enzymes.
Avocado naturally complements the flavors of other fruits so well. Remember the guacamole and mango avocado salsa? In this salsa recipe, the creamy avocado with citrusy pineapple makes a great combination.
Why pineapple boat?
- The healthy & humble pineapple salsa recipe gets REALLY elevated when you serve it in a pineapple “boat” or pineapple “bowl”. You don’t even need to ‘sneak’ in vegetables. You can proudly showcase ALL the ingredients in the pretty pineapple boat and I assure you, all the fussy little eaters at home will be only too eager to feast on the salsa.
- It may remind you of your favorite beach resort, so be ready to take a ‘mini-vacation’ right now at the comfort of your home. By just scooping out the salsa from the pineapple boat and devouring. The best example of simple good food being a “stress-buster”.
What do you eat pineapple avocado salsa with?
- Pineapple avocado salsa tastes delicious as a side with roasted meat or salmon. Try it with pan-seared salmon in place of the mango avocado salsa. Or with mint yogurt chicken drumsticks.
- Tastes more delicious on its own, scooping it up with your tortilla chips.
- The pineapple salsa is great for parties as a side or appetizer, based on what you are serving it with.
- Try serving it in pineapple shells, restaurant-style, and watch your guests’ eyes pop out in amazement. My mom always says you feast with your eyes first so before you even start eating, the sight of food should be enticing. This is absolutely true in the case of the pineapple avocado salsa.
What do you need for the salsa?
The pineapple salsa involves a bit of chopping but the result is completely worth the effort. You will need simple ingredients: ripe, juicy, fresh pineapple and avocado, red and green peppers, onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lemon juice. And an expert like you, who can dice these finely to almost the same size!
Preparing the pineapple boat
For the pineapple ‘boat’, cut the pineapple into half lengthwise and then cut along the inner rim of the pineapple, leaving about 1/2 inch of flesh from the shell. Now slit through the flesh inside into cubes carefully without cutting through the shell, then scoop out the cubes with a spoon. It might seem daunting the first time, but once you practice a couple of times, you’ll get it easily.
Refrigerate the pineapple shells until ready to use. The rest is pretty simple. Just chop the vegetables and fruits and mix with lemon juice, cilantro and salt in a bowl. Let it rest in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, if you can wait. In my kitchen, it rarely happens because the moment the salsa is ready, it gets rushed to the table and eaten immediately.
You can also make a pineapple “bowl”. Cut off the top part, scoop out the flesh, chop up with the vegetables to make the salsa and fill it up.
Show-off time, guys!
Love avocado? Here are some interesting recipes:
Share this post with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
*****If you like this recipe, please give a star rating to help more readers see this post. *****
Thank you and happy cooking!