Easy Indian fruit salad recipe with tropical fruit mix and a simple dressing! With this mango pomegranate salad, you don’t have to tell your kids to eat fruits, they’re going to ask for more!
About the recipe
This recipe shows you how to make an Indian fruit salad with mango, pomegranate, guava and fresh coconut flakes and a delicious 2-MINUTE HOMEMADE DRESSING.
This dairy-free mixed fruit chaat is perfect for a crowd and is kid-friendly.
It can be put together within minutes for family gatherings and parties. Like my beet walnut feta salad, it LOOKS and TASTES great, without much effort.
Guys, believe it or not, this is my go-to salad when I start craving something SWEET. In my opinion, this is the only SALAD that can replace a dessert!
Fruit Salad Ingredients
The ruby-red POMEGRANATE ARILS (fancy word for pomegranate seeds!), so pretty and delicious that you’ll forgive them for the stains on your shirt unless you’re wearing a pomegranate-colored one.
Everyone’s favorite- MANGO! Mango in salad recipes gives a kind of sweetness that makes it an unforgettable experience. Try my 3-ingredient mango smoothie and you’ll know what I’m talking about.
Then we have juicy coconut strips and guava that balance the sweetness of mango. Coconut, as in the sprouted mung bean salad gives a delicious CRUNCH to this healthy fruit salad.
Add mint for that refreshing herby flavor.
The palm sugar (coconut sugar) dressing is the “icing” on this Indian fruit salad recipe.
How To Make Mango Pomegranate Salad
(You can find the exact measurements and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this page.)
- Segment the pomegranate and separate the seeds.
- Cube the mango and guava.
- Make the delicious palm sugar dressing:
Indian fruit salad dressing
This homemade dressing is so full of FLAVOR that you’ll start pouring it on everything you get your hands on. 4 ingredients are all you need for this amazingly sweet and tangy fruit salad dressing.
- Chaat masala: This is a sweet, spicy and tangy Indian seasoning mix used in street food like chaats, and paneer recipes like paneer salad, hariyali paneer tikka and paneer kathi rolls. A personal favorite, I’ve created unique salad recipes like chana salad and lentil cilantro salad with chaat masala. It is made of a bunch of spices like cumin, coriander, raw mango powder, hing, pepper and black salt.
- Coconut sugar (or palm sugar or jaggery): These are slightly different but can be used interchangeably for this recipe.
- Extra virgin coconut oil brings the dressing together with its amazing flavor and texture.
- Lemon juice for the tang.
MIX, SHAKE and drizzle it on ANY SALAD and taste the difference!
The only thing you should take note of is the quality of the ingredients, specifically, coconut oil and palm sugar. You can also use good-quality jaggery instead of palm sugar.
You can test the purity of palm sugar by mixing it with a little water (see recipe card below) and check if you have sediments settling at the bottom. If yes, strain the liquid carefully before adding the rest of the dressing ingredients.
Additions and substitutions
- Feel free to add other fruits like apples, oranges, pears and berries.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin if you love spices.
- If you don’t have coconut sugar or jaggery, you can use honey, but the taste will definitely not be the same.
Store the fruits and dressing in separate sealed containers. This salad stays fresh for 5 days in the refrigerator and 3 months in the freezer.
Did you know that pomegranate stays fresh in the fridge longer if the arils (seeds) are separated and stored in an airtight container rather than as a whole? Well, now you know!
A whole pomegranate lasts in the fridge for about 4 to 5 days, while the arils can be stored for 2 weeks.
What To Serve With Mango and Pomegranate Salad
It is not common practice to serve Indian meals with fruit salad, But you can get creative and wow your guests. Serve the Indian fruit salad with:
- Tandoori chicken legs
- Baked pudina chicken
- Tandoori salmon
- Tandoori chicken tikka
- Oven Baked Salmon Kebabs
- Easy fish cakes
- Tandoori pomfret
- Prawn tikka
Or make chicken lemon coriander soup with this pomegranate salad for a healthy dinner.
You can also serve the mango and pomegranate salad with a dessert (ice cream or cake) 🙂
Looking for more salads?
Health benefits of pomegranate
- Categorized as berries, pomegranates are loaded with important nutrients.
- They are rich in plant compounds that have powerful medicinal properties.
- Pomegranates have impressive anti-inflammatory properties.
- Regular intake of pomegranate juice has been shown to lower blood pressure levels.
- Pomegranate has antibacterial and antiviral properties which may be useful against common gum diseases and yeast infections.
- As a rich source of nitrates, pomegranate may improve exercise performance by increasing blood flow.
- Pomegranate contains a fatty acid that can have benefits against heart disease. It improves your cholesterol profile and protects cells from oxidative damage.
- It is considered one of the “super fruits” that burns fat, boosts metabolism and suppresses your appetite. Pomegranate is one of the fruits that can and should be eaten on an empty stomach for maximum benefits.
Health benefits of coconut and coconut oil
- Coconut, due to its strong antioxidant properties increases metabolism and fights infections.
- Coconut is anti-viral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-parasite.
- It provides a natural source of quick energy and enhances physical and athletic performance.
- Coconut improves digestion and absorption of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
- It stabilizes glucose levels by improving insulin secretion.
- Coconut improves good cholesterol (HDL) thus supporting heart health.
- Coconut and coconut oil supports thyroid function.
- It helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infection.
- Coconut promotes weight loss due to its high fiber content and also reduces belly fat. However, coconut oil is high in saturated fat and so, have it in moderation.
- Coconut oil helps keep hair and skin young and healthy, preventing wrinkles and sagging skin.
Health benefits of palm sugar
- Palm sugar is an unrefined sugar that requires minimal processing.
- Known to be rich in vitamins and minerals.
- It contains phytonutrients, flavonoids, antioxidants, and dietary fiber.
- Palm sugar is gaining popularity due to its low glycemic index, (even lesser than honey) which means it is slowly absorbed by the body, preventing a spike in blood glucose levels.
★★★★★Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below ★★★★★
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Join over 1000 home cooks like you who subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox. Or follow me on your favorite social media: Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube. Thank you and happy cooking!
Hi! I’m Sheeba, welcome to Go Healthy ever after!
I have a passion for cooking delicious nourishing food that’s easy to cook with fresh natural ingredients free from additives or preservatives. The easy healthy recipes you find here will inspire you to cook with creativity.