Tandoori prawn tikka is an Indian-style prawn starter recipe that can be easily made on a pan, outdoor grill, or in the oven. Make this tandoori jhinga for your next party and wow your guests!
Why You’ll Love The Recipe
This prawn tikka recipe is a quick and easy appetizer that can serve a hungry crowd. It takes just about 10-20 minutes to cook depending on the number of people you’re serving.
The tandoori marinade used for this prawn tikka recipe can be prepared in less than 5 minutes. It is made with simple ingredients you might already have in your kitchen.
You don’t have to marinate tandoori prawns for too long. 10 minutes is sufficient.
It is unlike my other tandoori and tikka recipes like tandoori salmon, tandoori chicken tikka and tandoori chicken legs. That’s because salmon and chicken take at least 30 minutes to soak in the marinade.
In this easy recipe, cleaning and deveining the prawns takes longer than cooking them! So if you buy the ones already cleaned, you have a mouth-watering appetizer without sweating it out, literally!
(You can find the exact measurements and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this page.)
- Prawns: I’ve used tiger prawns here. King prawns or jumbo prawns can also be used. The cooking time should be increased by a minute or 2, depending on the size of the prawns.
- Chili powder: I’ve used Kashmiri chilli powder which gives a bright red color to the prawn tikka. It gives the flavor without the heat. The closest substitute would be paprika (smoked paprika is even better).
- Yogurt: Greek yogurt or homemade hung curd can be used.
- Mustard oil: It gives a unique flavor to tandoori dishes. If you don’t have it, use sunflower oil as a substitute. It won’t be the same, but still tastes great!
How To Make Tandoori Prawn Tikka- step by step
Make Tandoori Marinade
- Heat mustard oil until you get a nutty toasted aroma. Add it to Kashmiri chilli powder while still hot. Let it cool.
- Mix in the rest of the marinade ingredients.
Marinate and Skewer
- Add prawns and toss until they are coated well. Let them marinate for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Thread the prawns onto skewers.
- Brush a grill pan with oil. Cook the prawn skewers for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Grill the prawn skewers in batches, depending on the size of your pan.
Oven-grilled Tandoori Prawns
Preheat the oven to 200°C/392°F.
Arrange the prawn tikka skewers on a sheet pan. Baste with cooking oil or melted butter.
Roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes. (5 minutes for smaller tiger prawns and 7 for the jumbo ones.)
Tips To Make The Best Prawn Tikka Skewers
- Skewers: I use flat bamboo skewers which are easier to flip. If you only have the regular ones, use 2 skewers for each set of prawns.
- Cooking time: If you cook in the oven, ensure that you don’t overcook the prawns. Stick to the specified cooking time.
- Oven-grilled tandoori prawns may not have the charred look like the pan-grilled ones. But they taste equally amazing!
- Oil: I usually grill tandoori prawns with sunflower oil. To maximize the flavor, you can use 1 teaspoon of oil and 1 teaspoon of butter.
What To Serve With Prawn Tikka
Tandoori prawns taste great with any of these chutneys:
You can also pair prawn tikka with salads:
More Prawn Recipes
★★★★★Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below ★★★★★
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Join over 1000 home cooks like you who subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox. Or follow me on your favorite social media: Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube. Thank you and happy cooking!