You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to cook these crispy golden fried shrimps or prawns that look and taste so amazing without any fancy ingredients!
These shrimp fries can be had as an any-time-snack or just part of a weekend menu for a sumptuous family dinner. Pair them with a simple home-made yogurt dip and you get the perfect party appetizer. This copy cat shrimp fry recipe has the looks of the fried prawns served as starters at restaurants, yet so quick and easy to cook.
Are shrimps good for you?
Shrimps are a great source of protein, low in calories and saturated fat, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, selenium, vitamin B12, calcium and vitamin E. Hence, they promote heart health, brain function, growth and development and reduce inflammation, risk of illnesses like cancer, arthritis and dementia.
A word of caution, though: while prawns are low in saturated fats, they are rich in cholesterol and sodium. So eat prawns in moderation and be wary of added salt. Prawns are naturally flavorful and tasty, they need less salt and flavoring agents.
Despite the high cholesterol content, prawns are still a healthy alternative protein source when compared to animal proteins like red meat.
What do you need for the fried prawns?
I have used tiger prawns (a personal favorite) for this recipe, but any prawns (jumbo or grey) or shrimps can be used. This recipe requires a very basic set of 7 ingredients – flour, egg, breadcrumbs, chili powder, pepper, salt and oil for frying.
How do you make the shrimp fry recipe?
Full printable recipe below!
Clean and shell the shrimps and marinate with chili powder and salt for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, get the other ingredients ready. Take 3 medium-sized shallow bowls. Place flour with chili powder and salt in the first bowl, eggs beaten with salt and pepper in the second, and bread crumbs (I prefer panko because they make the shrimps perfectly crispy) mixed with chili powder in the third.
Roll the shrimps in the flour, dip in beaten eggs and coat with the bread crumbs.
Heat oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the shrimps in batches. Serve with homemade yogurt dip.
Why this recipe works
Follow these 3 simple tricks (which are usually overlooked) to making the best fried shrimps recipe
- coat the prawns completely in flour before dipping into the egg.
- dip quickly in the egg so that the flour doesn’t dissolve in the egg.
- use panko breadcrumbs.
The chili powder added to the flour and bread crumbs gives additional flavor and attractive golden color to the fried shrimps. Optionally, you can add paprika or “Kashmiri chili powder” if you want even more color and flavor. Adding flavor to the outer shell is the best way to making the most out of breaded and fried recipes, like the Italian potato croquettes.
Once you’ve made these fried prawns recipe, you’ll never go back!
If these are a winner, why not try my tiger prawns baked with tomato and cheese
These fried shrimps can be served as
- a party appetizer with the easy yogurt dip
- main course with a salad like the pasta salad, pomegranate salad or beet orange salad
- a kid-friendly snack that can also be adult-friendly!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow me on Pinterest.
Fried shrimps (prawns!)
- 2.2 pounds fresh shrimps or prawns or 1 kg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil or oil of your choice for frying
- 1/2 tsp paprika or Kashmiri chili powder optional
- Peel and devein the shrimps or prawns, leaving the last tail segment on. Marinate the shrimps with 1 tsp chili powder and 3/4 tsp salt for 10 minutes.
- You will need 3 plates or wide, shallow bowls. Place the flour in the first bowl, eggs beaten with a dash of salt and pepper in the second and panko breadcrumbs in the third.
- Take the remaining 1/2 tsp chili powder, mix half of it with the flour and the other half with the breadcrumbs. Do the same with paprika, if using. Add a few pinches of salt to the flour.
- Coat each shrimp with the flour, quickly dip in egg, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a deep skillet and fry the shrimps on medium flame in batches until golden brown.
- Serve with easy homemade yogurt sauce. (see note 4 for recipe)
- The preparation time does not include time required to peel and devein the prawns.
- The quantity specified is for fresh shrimps with shells.
- Optionally, paprika or “Kashmiri chili powder” can be added for the extra “wow” factor.
- Serve the fried shrimps with this easy homemade yogurt dip which makes it an excellent party appetizer.
- chili powder added to the flour and breadcrumbs make the prawns flavorful on the outside, too.
- coat the shrimps completely in flour before dipping in egg.
- dip the coated shrimps in egg quickly before the flour dissolves into the egg.
- use panko breadcrumbs for extra crispy golden fried shrimps.