These yummy fish cakes with homemade yogurt sauce look gourmet, yet unbelievably easy to make! Crunchy, but no dipping or coating required!
Quick and easy fish cakes with the right amount of crunch and spice paired with a simple homemade cashew yogurt sauce are the perfect comfort food you need to perk up your mood on a cold day. Perfect as an appetizer or main course with a salad, this simple fish cake recipe can easily become your favorite EVEN if you don’t feel great about fish. And don’t forget to add them to your party menu!
Fish cakes without potatoes
I’m not against potatoes, but fish cakes made with potatoes tend to be too potato-ish, totally enveloping the dish. You want fish to be the hero here, right? So do away with potatoes in this recipe.
Love potatoes? Try the potato croquettes with cheese.
Do you hate fish, yet want to try eating it because of its health benefits? Or you want to start eating fish and don’t know where to start? You’ve come to the right place. These fish cakes have the right amount of seasoning and don’t taste or smell “fishy” at all.
Health benefits of fish
- One of the healthiest foods on the planet, fish has numerous evidence-based health benefits. It is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and a rich source of Vitamins D and B2.
- Other nutrients include high-quality protein, iodine and various vitamins and minerals, being rich in calcium and phosphorus, along with iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium and potassium.
- That’s why eating fish may lower your risk of heart attacks and strokes. It is also essential for the development of the brain and eyes.
- Regular consumption of fish is known to reduce the decline in brain function due to aging, prevent and treat depression, reduce the risk of autoimmune diseases, prevent the risk of asthma in children, protect your vision in old age and may improve sleep quality.
- And what more, fish is delicious and easy to prepare!
What makes these easy fish cakes special?
- The unique seasoning with onions, tomatoes and simple spices is the secret behind this healthy fish cake recipe.
- The other secret ingredient is oatmeal. It plays the role of 3 ingredients: flour, breadcrumbs and potatoes and makes the fish patties crunchier and tastier. Since oatmeal doesn’t have a distinctive taste of its own, it brings out the flavor of the fish, which is not the case when potatoes are used.
What fish do I use for these healthy fish cakes?
I’ve used Spanish Mackerel here, but these patties can be made with any white, flaky fish.
How do you make these simple fish cakes?
Do you get intimidated when you think of dipping in flour, brushing with egg wash, coating with breadcrumbs, etc, etc.? Don’t be. Here you just boil the fish, prepare the seasoning with onions, tomatoes, spices and herbs and mix together with egg, oatmeal and cilantro. Shape the mixture into patties and shallow fry. Done!
Homemade healthy cashew-yogurt sauce
Once you make this recipe, you’ll realize the yogurt sauce is yet another reason that makes these fish cakes special. A simple dip made of Greek yogurt, lemon juice and finely chopped cashews and cilantro, it elevates an already delicious dish to an awesome one.
These fish cakes go well with
- no mayo coleslaw
- cauliflower rice stir fry
- pomegranate salad with mango and coconut
- pineapple avocado salsa
- braised cauliflower with peas
- 3 bean Mexican quinoa
Other fish recipes you’ll love
This recipe was originally published in December 2017 and has been updated with new photos to give you an awesome experience!
What do you think of this recipe? Please share in the comments section if you made and liked these fish cakes.