This is a delicious recipe for fish cakes that look gourmet, yet unbelievably easy to make! Crunchy, but no dipping or coating required! These are gluten-free fish cakes without potatoes, flour, or breadcrumbs- all these are replaced by a single ingredient!
Quick and easy fish cakes with the right amount of crunch and spice paired with a simple homemade cashew yogurt sauce are the ideal comfort food you need to perk up your mood on a cold day. Perfect as an appetizer or main course with a salad, this simple recipe for fish cakes can easily become your favorite EVEN if you don’t feel great about fish. And don’t forget to add them to your party menu!
Fish cakes without potatoes
I’m not against potatoes, but fish cakes made with potatoes tend to be too potato-ish, totally enveloping the dish. You want fish to be the hero here, right? So do away with potatoes in this recipe.
LOVE POTATOES? Try the Italian potato croquettes with cheese.
Do you hate fish, yet want to try eating it because of its health benefits? Or you want to start eating fish and don’t know where to start? You’ve come to the right place. These fish patties have the right amount of seasoning and don’t taste or smell “fishy” at all. So HEALTHY, so TASTY!
What makes these easy fish cakes special?
- The unique seasoning with onions, tomatoes and simple spices is the secret behind this healthy fish cake recipe.
- The other secret ingredient is oatmeal. It plays the role of 3 ingredients: flour, breadcrumbs and potatoes and makes the fish patties crunchier and tastier. Since oatmeal doesn’t have a distinctive taste of its own, it brings out the flavor of the fish, which is not the case when potatoes are used.
What fish do I use for these healthy fish cakes?
I’ve used Spanish Mackerel here, but these fish cakes are so versatile, they can be made with salmon, tuna, cod or any other flaky fish. Canned tuna or cod works great, too. In that case, the fish cakes are even easier to make since you can skip the step of boiling the fish.
- Vegetables and seasoning– Onions, tomato, ginger, garlic and spices
- Binding agent– eggs+oatmeal
- For frying– vegetable oil
how to make fish cakes without potato
Do you get intimidated when you think of fish cakes that require dipping in flour, brushing with egg wash, coating with breadcrumbs, etc, etc.? Don’t be. Here you just follow these 4 steps:
- Boil the fish, remove skin and bones, if any and mash.
- Saute onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic with spices.
- Mix the fish and seasoning with egg, oatmeal and cilantro.
- Shape the mixture into patties and shallow fry. Done!
Homemade healthy cashew-yogurt sauce
Once you make this recipe, you’ll realize the yogurt sauce is yet another reason that makes these fish cakes special. A simple dip made of Greek yogurt, lemon juice and finely chopped cashews and cilantro, it elevates an already delicious dish to an awesome one.
These fish cakes go well with
- lentil salad with turmeric
- cauliflower rice stir fry
- lemon rice recipe with brown rice
- beet orange salad
Other fish recipes you’ll love
Share this post with your friends so they can enjoy it too!
Health benefits of fish
- One of the healthiest foods on the planet, fish has numerous evidence-based health benefits. It is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and a rich source of Vitamins D and B2.
- Other nutrients include high-quality protein, iodine and various vitamins and minerals, being rich in calcium and phosphorus, along with iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium and potassium.
- That’s why eating fish may lower your risk of heart attacks and strokes. It is also essential for the development of the brain and eyes.
- Regular consumption of fish is known to reduce the decline in brain function due to aging, prevent and treat depression, reduce the risk of autoimmune diseases, prevent the risk of asthma in children, protect your vision in old age and may improve sleep quality.
- And what more, fish is delicious and easy to prepare!
This recipe was originally published in December 2017 and has been updated with new photos to give you an awesome experience!
What do you think of this recipe? Please share in the comments section if you made and liked these fish cakes.