Easy oven-baked fish covered with seasoned Panko topping and served with parsley yogurt sauce! This is one of the easiest, delicious and healthy baked fish recipes the whole family will love.
What is Panko-crusted fish?
Panko breadcrumbs are made from bread without crusts. They are lighter, absorb less oil and stay crispy for longer than the regular breadcrumbs.
To make Panko crusted fish, these breadcrumbs are seasoned with herbs and spices and used as a topping for fish fillets. The crumb-topped fish fillets are then baked, which results in flavorful, moist fish with a crunchy panko-herb crust.
One of the healthy seafood recipes in the weekly dinner menu, this is a favorite main course everybody in my family loves. And yours will love it, too! Serve this baked fish with a super easy homemade parsley-yogurt sauce (recipe below!). Pair it with a salad like beet orange salad or turmeric lentil salad or no-mayo coleslaw for an easy, healthy dinner.
- FISH FILLETS– This recipe, like the easy fish cakes, is quite versatile. Any flaky fish can be used: cod, halibut, tilapia, haddock all work well for this recipe. I make this recipe with salmon sometimes and it tastes great. But personally, I feel salmon has a unique flavor of its own and tastes the best when mildly seasoned. I prefer pan-seared salmon with salsa, citrus-marinated salmon or if you want to bake salmon, try these salmon kabobs on skewers.
- MUSTARD– Mustard and fish taste amazing together, like in the baked lemon mustard fish recipe. It also acts as a binding agent that helps the breadcrumbs stick to the fillet. I recommend whole-grain mustard since it adds more crunch and texture. But Dijon mustard also has its own advantages. Since it is creamier, it helps pack more breadcrumbs on the fillet that results in a thicker crust.
- BREADCRUMBS– Ideally, Panko breadcrumbs give more crunch to the topping but if you don’t have them, regular ones can also be used.
- SPICES AND HERBS– Chili powder and salt for seasoning the fish, red chili flakes, garlic powder, parsley and lemon zest for breadcrumbs.
- OIL– I’ve used olive oil here since it is a heat-stable healthy oil.
How to make Panko crusted fish in oven
How to season the fish
Season the fish fillets with chilli powder, salt and oil. The oil helps in cooking and also seals moisture within the fish. You can season in advance and refrigerate until ready to use.
Coating the fish with seasoned breadcrumbs
Toss the breadcrumbs with the spices and herbs. Coat the top of the fish fillets with mustard. Top liberally with the breadcrumb mixture and press. Spray the remaining oil evenly on the crust.
Bake the fillets at 200°C/ 400° F for 15 minutes. If your fillet is thicker (the fillet I used is about 1 inch thick), cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Easy homemade parsley yogurt sauce
The fillets and the crust are well seasoned, so you’ll only need a simple yogurt sauce to make it a delicious dinner. Mix yogurt with parsley, cumin, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Additions and substitutions
- If chilli powder is too spicy for you, use pepper to season the fish.
- Feel free to add more seasoning like onion powder or ground coriander to the breadcrumb mixture.
- More herbs like chives and thyme can also be added. If you don’t have fresh ones, dried herbs would do.
- For added flavor, mix the whole grain mustard with a teaspoon of butter before spreading on the fillet.
What’s the best way to cook fish?
Baking is one of the healthiest methods to cook fish since it limits loss of nutrients like Vitamin D and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. (source)
At what temperature should fish be baked?
The optimum temperature to bake fish for this recipe is 200°C/ 400° F. A higher temperature would burn the breadcrumbs and at a lower temperature, they wouldn’t brown enough.
What should I season fish with?
The fish has to be seasoned initially with chilli powder (or pepper), salt and oil. This helps the fillet retain flavor and moisture on the inside. Then top it up with seasoned breadcrumbs for the flavorful crust.
What herbs go well with fish?
Herbs like parsley, dill, chives, tarragon- all taste great with fish.
More seafood recipes
*****Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below to help more readers see this post. *****
Or why not subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox?
Thank you and happy cooking!