Learn how to cook salmon kabobs in the oven with yogurt and unique spices like saffron- a baked salmon skewer recipe that turns out to be a delicious appetizer!
About the recipe
These baked salmon kabobs in the oven are yet another of my easy healthy low-carb salmon recipes. (Like citrus-marinated salmon and paprika salmon with mango salsa.) Marinate the salmon and vegetables for 10 minutes using a simple marinade and pop into the oven. Though it is one of those cubed salmon recipes that get cooked very fast, we use a slow-cooking low-temperature setting to bake these salmon kabobs in the oven to preserve their texture. Even then, the total cooking time is just 30 minutes.
A highly nutritious recipe like most of my seafood recipes, this is also a versatile dish. These salmon kebabs on skewers can be eaten as an appetizer; it also tastes great as a wholesome dinner served with a salad and flavored rice.
Salmon has a great flavor on its own, so it needs minimal seasoning. That makes it even easier to cook these salmon kabobs in the oven. What’s more, since salmon has enough fat which also keeps it moist (no worries, it is the heart-healthy unsaturated fat), you don’t even need a single drop of oil to cook!
Learn how to cook oven-baked tandoori salmon without overpowering the natural flavor of salmon.
Health benefits of salmon
As we all know, salmon is one of the superfoods with numerous health benefits. Salmon is a highly nutritious fish, rich in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, along with protein, niacin, selenium, magnesium, vitamins B6 and B12. It is also one of the few good sources of vitamin D and has virtually zero carbohydrates, all of which make it one of the healthiest foods.
One of my family’s favorite baked salmon recipes, I love salmon not only for its health benefits but also for its rich flavor and ease of cooking.
- Fresh salmon fillets, cubed: 2 medium-sized fillets for one batch of this recipe.
- Vegetables: onions, bell peppers.
- Spices: ginger garlic paste, chili powder (or cayenne pepper), salt and black pepper.
- Saffron is the special spice that gives the characteristic color and flavor to this kebab recipe.
- Lime juice: For the tangy flavor to balance the spices.
- Yogurt: This recipe has no oil, no butter, no cream, yet the kabobs are so creamy. The secret lies in the yogurt that keeps these salmon kabobs tender and juicy.
How to cook salmon kabobs in oven- step by step
- Preheat the oven. Season the cubed salmon with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Mix all ingredients for the marinade.
- Add marinade to salmon.
- Add onions and peppers.
- Mix everything together.
- Thread onto skewers and bake!
You are 15 minutes away from enjoying the juicy melt-in-your-mouth salmon kabobs in oven with a bonus of crunchy roasted vegetables!
Tips to bake the best salmon kebabs in oven
- The secret to baking top-notch salmon kabobs is the temperature at which they are cooked and the baking time. The kabobs should not get overcooked and rubbery. The best way to cook the kabobs is at 120°C/ 250°F for 15 minutes. Cooking at this temperature gives salmon kebabs that are soft and juicy.
- Marinate longer to get the best results. You can marinate salmon for up to 1 hour.
- The peppers and onions remain crunchy since we are cooking at low temperatures for a short time. If you like them softer and well cooked, thread them in separate skewers and cook at 200°C/ 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes. (after removing salmon from the oven.)
- The salmon will be pink, even if it’s cooked through. If you want your salmon kebabs browned, baste with a little olive oil before baking.
How do you keep salmon moist while cooking?
Baking at temperatures as low as 120°C/ 250°F keeps salmon soft and juicy while ensuring that it is perfectly cooked and flaky, too. Cooking at low temperatures is also healthier since it keeps the omega-3 fats in the salmon intact. Though in this recipe we don’t use fats like oil or butter to cook salmon, the moisture is locked in by the yogurt-lime marinade.
How do I cook salmon so it’s not fishy?
Baking with spices, lemon and yogurt is the best and healthiest way to cook salmon. The unique yogurt marinade with aromatics like saffron, ginger and garlic helps remove the fishy smell and gives a creamy spicy flavor to salmon.
Is it better to bake fish covered or uncovered?
Baking uncovered helps brown the fish on the outside while keeping it moist on the inside. Covering with foil and baking will steam the fish, making it softer but will not brown the fish. Both are healthier alternatives to pan-frying and result in tender juicy fish fillets.
What to serve with salmon skewers
- Enjoy on its own as an appetizer with restaurant-style green chutney for kababs.
- lemon garlic quinoa as a healthy protein-rich dinner.
- vibrant lentil salad or simple Indian chickpea salad for a healthy low carb Indian dinner.
- beet orange salad.
- no-mayo coleslaw.
- lemon (brown) rice.
- cauliflower rice stir fry for a low-carb dinner.
More seafood recipes
★★★★★Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below.★★★★★
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Join over 1000 home cooks like you who subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox.
Thank you and happy cooking!