Pudina chicken legs are made by marinating chicken drumsticks in mint, yogurt and spices and baking them in the oven. This hariyali chicken recipe is one of the easiest and healthiest ways to cook chicken.
About the recipe
Pudina chicken or hariyali chicken is traditionally made on stove-top as a gravy-based recipe called chicken hara masala.
The marinated chicken is then baked in the oven. Quick and easy!
I can claim that these are one of the best oven-baked chicken drumsticks among the healthy chicken recipes for dinner. Reason?
- Easy handsfree cooking like my baked panko chicken recipe. Just marinate for 30 minutes and shove into the oven. Except for flipping halfway through cooking, you can leave them alone to cook for about 35 minutes.
- Minimum ingredients, maximum flavor! Exactly like my jeera chicken and 5-ingredient easy chicken curry.
- The lemon mint chicken marinade with yogurt and spices just hugs the drumsticks, making them so JUICY and DELICIOUS!
- Baked chicken legs use much less oil (we also use the healthier olive oil) than frying, yet turn out brown and crispy on the outside while tender soft on the inside.
- There are just about 100 calories in this lemon mint chicken, as compared to the fried or gravy-based versions which have almost double the calories. But there’s no compromise in flavor. So HEALTHY and TASTY!
Watch How To Make Pudina Chicken
Lemon mint chicken marinade
The marinade is made with ingredients you may already have in your kitchen. Each of the main ingredients is a powerhouse of nutrients- olive oil, mint, yogurt and lemon. Other ingredients you’ll need are ginger, garlic, shallots and chillies.
This ingredient list may look somewhat similar to the one for hariyali paneer tikka recipe. (because it is!)
- Mint leaves
- Aromatics: Small shallots or pearl onions, ginger and garlic
- Spice: green chillies
- Lemon juice and zest
- Oil for roasting
Making the marinade is super simple. Blend all ingredients- mint, shallots, ginger, garlic, chili, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil and salt until smooth.
How to prepare chicken legs for baking
Clean the chicken and remove the skin. Make a few slashes across the chicken drumsticks so they absorb the marinade better. This also helps to check later if the chicken is cooked through.
How to bake Pudina Chicken
Place the marinated chicken legs on a baking tray or sheet pan lined with parchment paper, such that they don’t touch each other. Drizzle olive oil all over the chicken.
Bake at 230°C/ 450°F for 30 minutes, flipping in between, after about 20 minutes.
Should I remove the skin to bake chicken legs in the oven?
Usually, chicken legs are cooked with their skin since the fat from the skin keeps them flavorful and moist. That’s how the sheet pan lemon garlic chicken legs turn out so juicy.
Here we can achieve the same results with the amazing marinade made of yogurt and lime that help TENDERIZE the chicken and keeps it from drying out while baking. The chicken legs also absorb the marinade better and faster without the skin. So when someone says chicken drumsticks MUST be baked with skin if you want them to be moist, do them a favor by sharing this recipe!
How long do I marinate the chicken drumsticks?
Mix the chicken legs with the marinade and leave it on the kitchen counter for 30 minutes. If you’re going to marinate longer, refrigerate the chicken and take it out about 15 minutes or until it reaches room temperature before baking. Marinating overnight will give the best results. The longer you marinate, the better.
How long does it take to bake chicken legs?
The ideal temperature for this recipe would be 230°C/ 450°F. The cook time would vary between 30 to 35 minutes depending on the size of the drumsticks. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 75°C/ 165°F. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, the best way to check for doneness is to ensure that the chicken is no longer pink at the bone. Since we’ve already made cuts in the chicken, it’s easy to just poke through one of them to check.
Can I use other cuts of chicken?
Other cuts of chicken can also be used for this recipe. The cook time will vary. Whole chicken legs will need 35 to 40 minutes and chicken thighs will need about 25 to 30 minutes.
Health benefits of lemon mint chicken
- Mint is a great appetizer and natural stimulant.
- Mint is a calming and soothing herb used as a remedy for a host of health issues like indigestion, nausea, depression, memory loss, fatigue, headache, asthma, oral care and skincare problems, allergies and respiratory disorders.
- Regular consumption of mint also improves alertness and memory retention. Above all, it supports healthy cholesterol levels and aids weight loss. (source)
- Yogurt is the other ingredient in this recipe that helps with weight loss.
- Rich in important nutrients, protein and calcium, it strengthens the immune system, improves heart health and protects against osteoporosis.
- It also contains live bacteria or probiotic that promotes digestive health. (source)
- Olive oil is rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. These fats are resistant to high heat that makes olive oil a healthy choice for cooking.
- It is rich in antioxidants that may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Olive oil contains nutrients that help reduce inflammation.
- Olive oil, combined with a Mediterranean diet can reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Consuming olive oil does not appear to increase the likelihood of weight gain. Moderate intake may even aid weight loss. (Source)
Love yogurt marinated chicken drumstick recipes? You might want to try the popular recipe on the blog: oven roasted tandoori chicken legs.
What to serve with hariyali chicken drumsticks
Shred the chicken, remove the bones and use in place of chicken tikka in tandoori chicken wraps.
These pudina chicken drumsticks also taste great with mango pomegranate fruit salad.
Looking for more chicken recipes?
If you like easy chicken recipes with delicious sauce, try
- chicken kofta curry
- minced chicken kebab recipe
- balsamic chicken with rosemary sauce
- lemon coriander chicken with yogurt mustard sauce or
- marinated sesame chicken stir-fry.
★★★★★Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below ★★★★★
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Join over 1000 home cooks like you who subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox. Or follow me on your favorite social media: Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube. Thank you and happy cooking!
Hi! I’m Sheeba, welcome to Go Healthy ever after!
I have a passion for cooking delicious nourishing food that’s easy to cook with fresh natural ingredients free from additives or preservatives. The easy healthy recipes you find here will inspire you to cook with creativity.