Try this 20-minute fried cauliflower rice recipe that is high on taste and low on carbs and see how good you feel. Find out how to make cauliflower fried rice (with or without a food processor) that actually TASTES GOOD. The aromatic spices and coconut flavor make you forget you’re actually eating a stir-fried vegetable!
Cooking with cauliflower rice is easier, quicker and healthier than white rice. The trick is to season it well with spices that make the cauliflower rice taste less “cauliflower-y” and more like rice. This recipe is a healthy take on Indian coconut rice, while curry powder is the additional ingredient here that does the trick. Even if you hate cauliflower, this low-carb cauliflower rice recipe is sure to surprise you.
Love your cauliflower crispy? Try these roasted tandoori cauliflower wings!
This easy vegetarian, gluten-free, low-carb cauliflower ‘fried’ rice recipe (with 136 CALORIES) is an excellent option if you want to save yourself a few hundred calories and also get your recommended daily serving of vegetables in a delicious way. It just takes 20 minutes to prep AND cook.
Serve this cauliflower rice stir fry with creamy refreshing cucumber raita and a protein like oven baked tandoori chicken or easy baked chicken drumsticks and you get a yummy wholesome meal. For a seafood dinner, try baked salmon kebabs or easy fish cakes.
- vegetables: a medium head cauliflower and boiled green peas
- virgin coconut oil
- seasoning: salt, pepper and curry powder (sambar powder).
- whole spices: mustard seeds, dry red chilies, ginger.
- nuts: roasted peanuts and cashews
- desiccated coconut.
Can’t find desiccated coconut? Coconut chunks or flakes can be used: pulse a few times in the food processor until you get the grated consistency.
How to make cauliflower rice
(You can find the exact measurements and instructions in the recipe card at the end of this page.)
Roughly chop the cauliflower head into florets and run through the food processor until the cauliflower bits resemble grains of rice. If you don’t own a food processor, the cauliflower can also be grated using a box grater. Stir-fry the cauliflower rice in coconut oil with salt and pepper.
How to season cauliflower rice
Heat coconut oil and stir-fry the nuts, peas, whole spices and curry powder for 5 minutes. Add the coconut and cauliflower rice and stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Serve hot!
The raitha with CREAMY YOGURT brings everything together in the cauliflower rice and is a perfect ‘jewel in the crown’.
Add finely diced cucumber, grated carrots and minced coriander leaves to plain UNSWEETENED YOGURT and season with salt, pepper and CUMIN powder. A refreshing yummy side for anything from biriyani to cauliflower rice. BTW, it tastes SO GOOD with tandoori chicken, too.
What else to serve with cauliflower rice stir fry
Any protein will go well with this recipe. Some of the great combos would be:
- The secret to making the cauliflower rice taste delicious lies in seasoning it twice: with salt and pepper when you cook the riced cauliflower, then again with curry powder (which is actually a bunch of spices, roasted and ground).
- Cauliflower releases moisture when salt is added. You need to ensure that all of the moisture evaporates while the cauliflower gets cooked without getting soggy. This can be done by stir-frying at medium-high heat all the way from start to finish, while cooking and again while seasoning with the spices. This way you get perfectly cooked “grains”.
Want your cauliflower rice and protein in a single dish? You might want to try this cauliflower rice with masala chicken.
More side dishes
*****Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below to help more readers see this post. *****
Or why not subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox?
Thank you and happy cooking!
Interesting facts about cauliflower
- Cauliflower is an excellent source of dietary fibers, vitamins C, K and vitamins of the B group and minerals such as manganese, potassium, and magnesium. Cauliflower has low caloric value and can be used as a substitute for rice and potato.
- Cauliflower develops large and coarse leaves that are green in color. They grow in the form of a rosette.
- Leaves surround stalk and ensure the development of white head. Without leaves, a bunch of inedible yellow flowers would appear.
- The color of the head depends on the variety. The most common type of cauliflower is white, but it can be also purchased in green, purple, orange, brown and yellow color.
- The green variety is known as broccoflower because it looks like broccoli.
- One type of green cauliflower develops spiky instead of round curds. This variety of cauliflower is known as Romanesco broccoli.
- Cauliflower belongs to the group of cruciferous vegetables. They are named that way because they have flowers that consist of four petals that grow in the shape of the Greek cross.
- Cauliflower develops from seeds and tissue transplants.
- Cauliflowers can be eaten raw, cooked or pickled.
- Prolonged cooking destroys the majority of vitamins and it is associated with bad, sulfur-like smell of cauliflower. Cooking 30 or more minutes decreases health benefits of cauliflower by 75%.
- Medical studies revealed that substances isolated from cauliflower can prevent the development of certain types of cancer.
- China is the greatest manufacturer of cauliflowers in the world.