This keto cauliflower rice recipe combines the goodness of low-carb cauliflower rice with the popular chicken biryani. It has the amazing flavors of the classic biryani, but takes only a fraction of the effort and time (and calories, too!).
About the recipe
Keto cauliflower rice may sound humble and boring, but the name can be deceptive. Low-carb ‘riced’ cauliflower, a spiced vegetable base full of fiber with lean protein. All the perfect ingredients for a sumptuous lunch or dinner.
This keto biryani is a delicious low-carb alternative to chicken biriyani with healthier ingredients and quicker. Give it a try and you’ll be pleasantly surprised. You’ll feel light and satisfied, and more importantly, guilt-free!
This is also one of those keto cauliflower rice recipes that is ideal for meal planning. It can be refrigerated for a couple of days or frozen for a month. Or chicken can be marinated and riced cauliflower can be prepared well ahead of time and frozen. Whenever you need, just thaw and cook the chicken with the marinade which would take about 10-15 minutes and then mix in the riced cauliflower and optional scrambled eggs. It’s as easy as that.
Reasons you’ll love the keto cauliflower rice biryani
- The delicious Indian spices transform the humble cauliflower rice into the magical low-carb chicken “biryani”.
- A cheap and lean protein, chicken is the best, um, okay, one of the best ways to get your protein.
- It is one of my quick and easy dinner recipes.
- The riced cauliflower adapts to any flavor so easily. When you cook it right and make it a crispy cauliflower rice, the rest is easy.
- Cauliflower lovers, this recipe is for you! Cauliflower haters, this recipe is also for you!!
Cauliflower rice ingredients
For the riced cauliflower, you’ll need a medium-sized head of cauliflower, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon black cumin seeds which is optional, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 eggs, salt, pepper, lemon juice and cilantro for garnish.
As for the chicken, the marinade has a mix of chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, cumin powder and yogurt. Yummy Indian flavors. (Like the oven-baked tandoori chicken and hariyali chicken drumsticks.)
Why you should marinate chicken breasts in yogurt
- Marinating in yogurt helps soften and tenderise the chicken so it doesn’t turn dry when cooked.
- Yogurt imparts a creamy texture to any dish.
- It mellows down the sharp flavors of Indian spices.
- Yogurt aids digestion and hence good to have with any animal protein.
- I love yogurt for its yummy deliciousness and alsothe health benefits.
How to make keto cauliflower rice biryani
How to rice cauliflower
Chop the cauliflower into big chunks with the stalks. ‘Rice’ the cauliflower using the grater attachment of your food processor. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and chili flakes. Black cumin has a stronger flavor and can be found in Indian stores. It’s just optional, so don’t fret over it if you can’t find. Cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the riced cauliflower and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with a dash of salt and pepper and transfer onto a plate.
How to cook marinated chicken
Chop the chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and coat the chicken. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the same pan and add the chicken with the marinade. Stir well and cook covered for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes on high heat until the mixture thickens and all water evaporates. The marinated chicken will leave out a lot of water while cooking, just keep stirring on high heat until the mixture thickens.
Beat the eggs with salt, pepper and a pinch of turmeric powder. Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in an omelet pan and scramble the eggs.
Toss the cooked chicken, cauliflower rice and the eggs together with a sprinkling of lemon juice and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro. Optionally, you can sprinkle fried onions for added flavor.
- Choose a fresh, firm cauliflower. The success of the dish almost entirely depends on the cauliflower.
- DO NOT cook the cauliflower covered, it might get soggy.
- The softness of the chicken. In other words, the more the marination time, the better. Ideally, marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Don’t even attempt this recipe if you ran out of yogurt. It’s the must-have ingredient to turn out flavorful melt-in-your-mouth masala chicken.
For a vegetarian version, replace chicken with extra firm tofu. Press the tofu to remove moisture, marinate and cook in exactly the same way.
Make ahead option
This keto cauliflower rice stays fresh for 2 days in the refrigerator or 1 month in the freezer. Store in airtight containers. If freezing, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat in the microwave.
What to serve with keto cauliflower rice
Serve with a simple onion raitha. I like to serve this keto biryani with a cashew yogurt sauce that I serve with my fish cake recipe. Yummy!
You can also serve with:
- Green mango chutney
- Easy microwave fried okra
- Indian-style chickpea salad
- Lentil salad with turmeric
- Beet lentil fritters.
More cauliflower recipes
More healthy chicken recipes
★★★★★Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below.★★★★★
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Join over 1000 home cooks like you who subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox.
Thank you and happy cooking!