This sheet pan lemon garlic chicken legs and potatoes are easy, healthy, and damn delicious! The aromatic spices, herbs and citrus flavors in the quick lemon garlic chicken marinade come together to give that melt-in-your-mouth flavorful chicken with potatoes and sweet potatoes. A quick and easy sheet pan chicken dinner for busy weeknights.
This is yet another hands-free, quick & easy dinner recipe like the easy baked chicken breasts. This sheet pan chicken recipe is my favorite since it checks all the boxes:
- Full of flavor from herbs and spices.
- Simple ingredients you always have in your pantry.
- Uses less oil than frying or searing.
- Can be made ahead and hence qualifies for meal-prep.
- Fewer pots & pans to clean-up.
Ingredients for chicken marinade
- Lemon and garlic: One of the best flavor combos that work for chicken. You get extra “lemony” flavor from the zest.
- chili powder- use according to taste, this recipe is moderately spicy.
- ground coriander
- ground cumin
- paprika- regular one is fine, but I would recommend smoked paprika.
- Herbs: Dry oregano and thyme for that delicious Mediterranean flavor.
- Olive oil for its fruity flavor.
Step by step instructions
(You can find the exact measurements and instructions in the recipe card at the end of this page.)
How to marinate the chicken and potatoes
- Seasoning the chicken legs: Clean and make a few cuts across each chicken drumstick. Marinate with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Second (lemon garlic) marinade: Add all the ingredients to the chicken and rub the marinade thoroughly, reaching beneath the skin, too. Allow them to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Take the chicken legs out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Chop the potatoes and sweet potatoes into wedges and add to the chicken legs. Mix until all potatoes are coated with the marinade.
How to roast chicken legs and potatoes
Arrange the chicken legs, potatoes, and sweet potatoes on a sheet pan. (Remember to line it with parchment paper so cleaning becomes much easier.)
Bake at 230°C/ 446°F for 30 to 35 minutes. You don’t have to flip the chicken or the potatoes. The potatoes get a little more browned on one side, it’s fine with me. (you can safely consider the pictures below as proof that it turns out fine.) So, unless you’re very particular about roasting the potatoes evenly, you can forget about the potatoes and chicken for the next 30 minutes.
Make this a sheet pan chicken dinner
I like to serve this lemon garlic chicken and potatoes with a simple egg and lettuce salad. Make the salad while you wait for the oven to do its job. Now you’ve got an amazing high protein sheet pan dinner! No frying, boiling, or even switching on your stove. Make it a keto dinner by swapping carrot wedges for potatoes.
Common questions about this healthy lemon garlic chicken
How do you keep chicken from drying out in the oven?
How long does it take to bake chicken drumsticks?
Chicken drumsticks take about 30 to 35 minutes to cook at 230°C/ 446°F. Baking at high temperatures ensure that they are browned on the outside and soft on the inside.
Should you bake chicken covered or uncovered?
Bone-in, skin-on chicken legs can be baked uncovered on the baking sheet, they still turn out moist and juicy. The chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) have less fat in them and are likely to dry out if cooked uncovered. If you’re cooking chicken breasts, use this recipe for easy baked chicken breasts to ensure you get perfectly juicy chicken.
Do you flip chicken legs when baking?
For this recipe, you don’t have to flip the chicken. They get cooked and browned perfectly without flipping midway during cooking. For the drumsticks to cook evenly, you only have to ensure that they are at room temperature when you place them in the oven.
How do I know when chicken drumsticks are cooked?
You’ll know the drumsticks are cooked when they’re no longer pink at the bone. Another way to check is using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature of the cooked chicken should reach at least 74°C/ 165°F.
Salads/ sides to serve with lemon garlic chicken & potatoes
- Simple Indian chickpea salad
- Beet and orange salad
- Vibrant lentil salad with turmeric
- Mango pomegranate fruit salad
- Easy French bean recipe.
You may also like
*****Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below to help more readers see this post. *****
Or why not subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox?
Thank you and happy cooking!
This recipe has been adapted from the Mediterranean dish.