An easy red cabbage soup that tastes as amazing as it looks. This creamy soup with red cabbage and potato does not use cream, yet it is hard to believe it even after you mop up the whole bowl of the delicious soup!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
The easy purple-colored soup is made with red cabbage and potatoes, topped with simple yogurt-based cream and crunchy toasted seeds.
Spices? Nothing but salt and pepper is enough to season this flavorful soup. Vegetables, nuts, and seeds provide a lot of flavor to this soup with red cabbage.
It is also quite filling on its own as a cozy family dinner. You might only need some toast to soak up all the deliciousness.
Red cabbage is great to include in your diet as it will improve your calorie intake and help you to lose weight. It is because cabbage is low in calories and high in dietary fiber. Fiber makes you feel fuller and prevents you from overeating.
We’ll talk more about the health benefits of purple cabbage later. Now I’m more excited to share the recipe!
(You can find the exact measurements and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this page.)
- Red cabbage or purple cabbage: Choose red cabbage that is densely packed and heavy in weight with firm outer leaves.
- Butter and olive oil: Here we use a combination of both oil and butter. This helps control calories and saturated fat without compromising taste.
- Sunflower seeds can be replaced with other nuts/seeds.
- Nigella seeds are also called black cumin or kalonji. They have a slightly bitter, pungent flavor that balances the sweetness of cooked red cabbage. You can substitute them with sesame seeds.
- Stock: Use vegetable stock or chicken stock. You can also use bouillon cubes dissolved in hot water.
How To Make Red Cabbage Soup
- Heat oil in a deep pot. Roughly chop onions and garlic and add. Sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Add almonds, diced potatoes and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Shred red cabbage and add to the pot. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add stock.
- Cook covered until the vegetables are soft.
Use an immersion blender and blend the veggies until smooth.
Or cool the cooked vegetables and blend them using a regular blender.
- Transfer the blended soup back to the pot.
- Add salt, pepper, and water as required.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes and remove from heat.
Toast The Seeds
Heat a small pan and toast sunflower seeds until slightly browned and crisp. Keep the flame low.
Remove sunflower seeds and add nigella seeds. Turn off the flame immediately. Toast the seeds in the hot pan for a few minutes and remove.
Garnish and Serve
- Pour the soup into individual bowls.
- Squeeze lemon juice and stir it with yogurt.
- Drizzle the lemon-flavored yogurt on the soup.
- Sprinkle toasted sunflower and nigella seeds.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Use blanched almonds for a more “creamy” soup.
- For more citrus flavor, you can add lemon zest to the yogurt along with lemon juice.
- DO NOT TOAST the seeds on high flame. They can easily get burned.
- Once you add nigella seeds to the pan, turn off the flame. The residual heat in the pan is enough to toast them.
Health Benefits Of Red Cabbage
- Cabbage is a very powerful brain food. The presence of vitamin K and anthocyanins within cabbage can boost brain power and concentration.
- It is a low-calorie vegetable rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Cabbage contains powerful antioxidants that help reduce inflammation.
- It is rich in vitamin C which boosts immunity. Red cabbage has 30% more vitamin C.
- Cabbage, especially the purple variety has a high content of glucosinolates which have been associated with anticancer properties.
- It contains insoluble fiber which helps improve digestion.
- The vibrant red cabbage contains anthocyanins that reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Cabbage, especially red cabbage is rich in potassium which helps regulate blood pressure.
- It is a great source of sulfur that helps fight infections and speed up healing.
More Soups You May Like
★★★★★Did you try this recipe? Please give a star rating in the comments below ★★★★★
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Join over 1000 home cooks like you who subscribe to my weekly newsletter to get all the latest recipes right in your inbox. Or follow me on your favorite social media: Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube. Thank you and happy cooking!
Hi! I’m Sheeba, welcome to Go Healthy ever after!
I have a passion for cooking delicious nourishing food that’s easy to cook with fresh natural ingredients free from additives or preservatives. The easy healthy recipes you find here will inspire you to cook with passion and creativity.