This cream of cabbage soup has no real “cream” which makes it healthy and nutritious. The cream has been replaced with a delicious and healthy alternative without compromising on the taste.
When eating healthy becomes a priority, we’ll always be looking for ways to replace unhealthy ingredients in traditional dishes with healthier ones. I love these healthy versions of “creamy” soups not only for their texture and taste but also for the fact that by doing away with the cream, it also gives an opportunity to add healthy alternatives and hence, more nutrition. A filling and comforting meal, especially on a cold winter night this cream of cabbage soup without the cream has great potential for weight loss, too.
What do you need for the cream of cabbage soup?
A cashew paste with low-fat milk or cashew milk makes an excellent healthy alternative to cream. In addition to adding body to the soup, it also adds more nutrition and taste.
You will also need vegetables like celery, potato, onion, garlic along with dried herbs rosemary and oregano.
How do you make cream of cabbage soup without the cream?
Saute the chopped onions and garlic in oil or butter, then add shredded cabbage, diced potato and celery, cashews, water and the dried herbs. Boil for 15 – 20 minutes until the vegetables are cooked. Blend using a stick blender or cool the mixture and blend using a regular blender.
Add milk to the blended soup and simmer for 20 minutes until the soup becomes thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
Homemade garlic croutons
Mix butter or olive oil with garlic powder, oregano and pepper. Keep the flavored butter ready before toasting the bread.
Toast the bread and spread the butter on both sides of the bread slices while still warm. Chop the bread slices into cubes.
Garnish the cabbage soup with cilantro and garlic croutons and serve immediately.
More healthy soup recipes you will love:
- Vegan cream of asparagus soup
- Lentil turmeric soup
- Gluten-free red bean pasta soup
- Minestrone soup with Asian spices
- Chickpea soup
- Chilled cucumber herb soup
Cream of cabbage soup pairs well with
- Vegan braised tofu
- Baked buttermilk chicken legs
- 5 ingredient garlic prawns
- Baked lemon mustard fish
- Mustard chicken
Make ahead option
This cabbage soup can be refrigerated and reheated and keeps well for 3 days.
Cream of cabbage soup
- 5 cups cabbage shredded and loosely packed
- 1 medium potato diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk cashew milk for a vegan recipe
- 2 teaspoons butter olive oil for a vegan recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups water or stock
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 3 slices whole-grain bread
- 3 teaspoons butter olive oil for a vegan recipe
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat butter/oil over medium heat in a heavy soup pot, add onions and garlic, stirring until soft for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, potato, celery, cashews, water or stock and the dried herbs.
- Cook covered until the vegetables are tender, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool the mixture and process using a blender until smooth.
- Transfer back to the pot, add milk and simmer for 20 minutes or until the soup becomes thick and creamy.
- Add more stock or water if necessary, until you get the desired consistency. Mix in salt and pepper.
- Mix butter/olive oil with garlic powder, oregano and pepper.
- Toast the bread and spread the mixture on both sides of the bread slices while still warm.
- Chop the bread slices into cubes.
- Garnish the cabbage soup with cilantro and garlic croutons and serve immediately.
- Spread the garlic mixture on the bread slices as soon as they are toasted since the bread slices will absorb the flavors better when they’re warm.
- If cashew milk is unavailable, you can replace it with almond milk