The hearty chickpea curry soup is an easy wholesome soup with a delicious authentic spice mix that fills your kitchen with a pleasant aroma that can make you hungry any time of the day.
Made of nutty chickpeas and fresh vegetables cooked in a blend of spices, this gluten-free, vegan chickpea soup is a delicious treat, healthy meal in a bowl AND comfort food that will blow your mind!
how to make the homemade spice mix
Full printable recipe at the end of the post.
This recipe for chickpea soup uses an authentic spice blend with a whole lot of SPICES (used in Indian curries) that make it quite flavorful. The long list of ingredients can be intimidating, but it is so easy to make.
You will need yellow lentils (toor dal), cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise, chili flakes, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, pepper and fennel seeds. DRY ROAST these spices, cool and GRIND using a spice grinder or coffee grinder.
what you’ll need for the chickpea soup recipe
I’ve used BROWN CHICKPEAS (kala chana), which is more FLAVORFUL and NUTTY than the more popular beige-colored ones. The brown chickpeas can be replaced with other types-green, black or beige with a slight difference in taste and texture.
Canned chickpeas can be used, though here I’ve used dried ones which need to be soaked overnight and then cooked.
cooking chickpeas in a pressure cooker or instant pot
Add 2 cups of water for each cup of chickpeas, close and boil until it reaches high pressure. Reduce the pressure and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Switch off and wait for the pressure to release naturally.
Are you a ‘chickpea person’? You’ll love this Creamy pasta with spinach and chickpeas.
Here is a chickpea soup recipe where you can use ANY VEGETABLES you have in your refrigerator. Carrots, beans, potatoes, cauliflower, peas, zucchini, celery, cabbage – the list is endless. You can use this opportunity to sneak in any amount of vegetables into this wholesome soup and the taste gets enhanced with the AMAZING CURRY FLAVOR.
recipe for chickpea soup
Heat oil in a soup pot, saute onions and ginger-garlic paste for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, vegetables, cooked (or canned) chickpeas, spice blend, turmeric powder and sea salt. Close and boil until vegetables are cooked, for about 15 minutes.
Remove 1 cup of the BOILED MIXTURE of chickpeas and vegetables, cool and BLEND until smooth, using a blender. Add the BLENDED PASTE back to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve garnished with coriander leaves. SO TASTY, SO HEALTHY.
More soups to warm your soul:
- lentil turmeric soup
- easy pumpkin soup
- cream of cabbage soup
- red bean soup with pasta
- minestrone soup with Asian spices
Be sure to PIN this recipe for later and follow me on Pinterest.
some health benefits of chickpeas-
- Regulates blood sugar due to the high fiber content.
- Helps maintain bone health since it’s rich in iron, calcium, phosphate, magnesium, manganese, zinc and vitamin K.
- Supports heart health since it contains potassium, high fiber, Vitamins C and B-6.
- Supports healthy blood pressure levels due to its potassium content.
- Selenium regulates liver enzymes and helps in detox.
- The choline in chickpeas helps with sleep, muscle movement, learning, and memory. Choline also assists in the absorption of fat and reduces chronic inflammation.
- Aids digestion and regularity due to its high fiber content.
- Dietary fibers help in weight management and increase satiety, making people feel full for longer and thereby lowering overall calorie intake.